Monday, October 4, 2010

Justice #5 (June, 2006)



"The first name I ever knew was 'daughter.' I remember my mother holding me in the dawn. I remember the sea. And I remember her telling me that I was a gift. And that I was beautiful." Hippolyta never wanted Diana to compete in the contest to become Wonder Woman-- Amazonian ambassador and champion for the world. Against the queen's wishes, her princess donned a mask and won the contest, but also broke her mother's heart with the deceit and the dangers ahead. "I swore I'd never wear a mask again."

In battle with the Cheetah, Wonder Woman's face had been slashed open in three places by claws dipped in the centaur's poison called "Heracles' Lament." Cheetah had exchanged some of her own blood for it from the goddess of the underworld Persephone. Princess Diana struggled against claws and fangs at her backside, until she reached her Lasso of Truth and ensnared her foe. A tear fell from Priscilla Rich's eye as her humanity was briefly restored, but the cat soon loosed itself from the leash. Wonder Woman had repeatedly reached out to Priscilla, trying to help, but failing that, she kicked the kitty across the alley. The Cheetah fled, but Diana could already feel an unmaking sickness within herself.

I liked that bit about the mask, even if Wonder Woman's lack of one is one of the least necessary rationales to consider. Ross' plotting is often burdened by heavy doomsday vibes, but that melodrama suits the Amazing Amazon a lot better than most.

Continue the story through these character-specific posts:

"Chapter Five" was plotted and painted by Alex Ross. The script was provided by Jim Krueger, and the penciled layouts by Doug Braithwaite.

No comments: