Saturday, May 18, 2013

“2013 The Post-Punk / New Wave Wonder Woman by Butcher Billy”

Click To Enlarge


What makes a pop culture icon?

"Would it be the effect of their contribution to a cultural movement? Is it the way they impact the time and the generation they are targeting? Or just how their exposure constitutes a defining characteristic of a given society or era?

As a child of the 80's I was heavily influenced by everything from saturday morning cartoons on TV to the music coming from the radio. Ian Curtis or Johnny Rotten are as iconic to me as Superman or Batman. Real people or imaginary characters, the incorruptible ideals of perfect superheroes or the human flaws and desires sometimes so desperately depicted in song lyrics - all of those influences affect us to the point of defining our character and personality, career paths and life choices.

The references we are exposed and specifically the ones we choose to absorb make us who we are. Who are your heroes?"
I freakin' love this. Totally in my wheelhouse, and Siouxsie Sioux is the most perfect amalgamation for Diana I can think of (Annie Lennox being too severe and Deborah Harry too passive, in my estimation. I case could be made for Chrissie Hynde, but c'mon...)

The Post-Punk / New Wave Super Friends

No comments: