Saturday, September 11, 2010

Dragon*Con 2010 Wonder Woman & the Wonder Girls Cosplay



Every comic book-related convention draws its share of Wonder Woman costumed players, and I wouldn't want things any other way. Besides my love for the Amazing Amazon, Princess Diana belongs to the world of popular culture, and should be as well represented as any of the great four-color heroes at one of these shindigs. Dragon*Con 2010 was exceptional in that respect, because it not only featured a host of the usual DC super-heroes and Amazon Princesses, but a veritable dynasty of Wonder Woman characters and variations.

Shag Matthews of Once Upon A Geek did an outstanding job of photographing the spectacle, and has offered a number of bloggers the opportunity to raid his DragonCon 2010 Photos for material. There is seriously so much to sift through, it'll take me much of this week and perhaps some of the next to get to everyone in detail.

I believe all of these pics are of the same Princess Diana, but there were several roaming the convention halls, just not where a solid shot was taken. As you can see above, there were quite a few Wonder Girls as well, and Shag did snag quite a few of them, photographically speaking.



Wonder Woman herself was usually part of a sea of cosplayers in these photos, and even though she was usually up front, I've most avoided cropping many shots of her. Instead, I've cherry-picked a few favorites, and you can expert her to "guest star" in other spotlights to come. Above is a detail from an crowd shot, in which a quizzical Diana and was paired off with a battle ready Hawkgirl. Although the latter is wearing the deceased Kendra Saunders' costume, her built and stance makes her look more like Shayera Thal to me.



Pull back a bit, and you can see Brainiac-5 checking out Hawkgirl's tail feathers, and Coneheadhunter J'Onn J'Onzz taking in a star-spangled derriere. No matter the planet of origin or the shade of skin, men are men.



I prefer the headlining group shot above, because pretty girls should always smile. Sorry-- I've been watching a lot of Madmen recently. Anyway, this variation on the stances is a lot less sunny. Wonder Woman has pursed lips and the sun in her eyes. The Nick Cardy-style Donna Troy has a discreetly mischievous look, while the Pérez-style Donna Troy-Long seems to be distracted by something off panel. Cassie Sandsmark is consistently pissy, as is Sarah Gilbert,  the star of  Rosanne and Poison Ivy, who delighted con-goers as a third Donna.



This was my intended headlining picture, because a think it's freaking awesome, but I ended up having to go a different way. It's still one of my favs, not just here, but of all of Shag's shot. Not to be outdone by TV's Sarah Gilbert, the Donna Troy-Long cosplayer is working that leg!



Here's another great aside-- the Bronze Age Manhunter from Mars and the One Year Later Martian Manhunter totally hitting on Ame-Comi Wonder Girl (is that legal?) and an amused but unreceptive Wonder Woman. Careful J'Onn-- those trunks don't hide much! The Alien Atlas and stars from my other blogs also got the Shag treatment, so look for a link list at the bottom of this post. Until then, here's a final variation on the "family picture," with extra saturation to bring out the reds and pitch the blacks...




12 comments:

The Irredeemable Shag said...

Frank - Thanks for the shout-out. Personally, this was my favorite Wonder Girl there...
http://www.flickr.com/photos/onceuponageek/4975355725/in/set-72157624921242016/

I was surprised to find out this young lady is actually George Perez's niece! Keeping it in the family!

The Irredeemable Shag
http://onceuponageek.com
http://firestormfan.com

LissBirds said...

Did you notice Hawkgirl is totally wearing the same boots as Diana, just painted gold? Shame on you, Kendra! Extra points for the real feathers, though.

I like the real metal (?) in Wonder Woman's costume. That's impressive, but probably really uncomfortable. Also interesing to see no "new costume" Wonder Women there, either.

Diabolu Frank said...

Shag, I like the Perez Troy because she's more my "type," but your preferred Bob Haney Troy definitely has the most verisimilitude. As I recall, Perez was married to a belly-dancing cutie that could be that girl's aunt.

Liss, I believe Hawkgirl went as a blond Wonder Woman in a previous year, and aside from the talons, the boot designs in the comics aren't dissimilar. I'm inclined to give her a pass on grounds of frugality, and those wings must have been murder! I was going to make a crack about JMS Wonder Woman and a dress code, but there's Ame-Com Wonder Girl right there...

Aaron said...

Hawkgirl's wings are amazing! I like that so many of the Donna Troys are in the red jumpsuit, I dunno why that costume works so well for me but it does.

Diabolu Frank said...

You know how I know Phil Jimenez is gay? Because the red costume is simple, vibrant, and sexy-- yet he keeps insisting on putting her in variations of solid black with whiteheads all over it.

LissBirds said...

Ha, I was just going to say how much I like the black starfield costume. C'mon, it's so sparkly!!

That's cute that that girl is George Perez's niece. Aww.

Diabolu Frank said...

I'm not against those types of starfield costumes in general, but Starboy/man has had a lock on that look at DC for decades. They've been trying to make "Troia" work for twenty years, but all that did was marginalize the character. Donna Troy needs to own her Amazon, jump back into the red, and let a sci-fi character have the black & white number.

Luke said...

Sweet mother of pearl that does look like Sara Gilbert!

Great shots... WW cosplay is one of the things drawing me to go to DragonCon, even as so many other things tell me to stay away! :)

Unknown said...

Hey wow I just found this on a fluke! Searching for more costumes to do, and voila I find a picture of me and my pseudo Big sis pictured on this blog.

I suppose I should introduce myself, I am Cyn, I am the Perez-styled wonder girl featured with Wonder Woman :)!!

Thank you so much for the compliments, they are greatly appreciated, must tell sis! Anyhow just to set a few things straight The Nick Cardy Donna is as you have all said George's niece; However, the Terra featured next to him is not just a costumer, but his other amazing niece! This was the girls first Con and they rocked it amazingly!!! In fact myself and George's niece dressed as the exact same characters on two different days! She's amazing!

The Sarah Gilbert look alike is actually a Donna from across the pond, and the very reason there as a Teen Titan photo shoot!! She was amazing and such a sweetheart!

Everyone at D*C is amazing! We are all/ or became quick friends, and these bonds are very tough to break! I am so honored to have been featured on here, and totally look forward to seeing what else you say about my favorite characters of all time!

Sincerely,
Cyn

Diabolu Frank said...

Thanks for the info and compliments, Cynthia! I've added a link from the other Donnas blog post to your comment to help spread the word. :)

Anonymous said...

Maybe you will want to place a twitter icon to your website. I just marked down this site, but I had to make it manually. Just my advice.

Diabolu Frank said...

Thanks, but I don't know the first thing about Twitter coding. I'm a Luddite who has sworn off all social networking.