Monday, April 30, 2012

Wonder Woman #100 Cover Silhouette art by Brian Bolland

Click To Enlarge




Since a bunch of DC Comics relaunched within months of each other following the Crisis On Infinite Earths, they also reached their hundredth issues in close enough proximity (to each other and the vapors of the speculator boom) to have themed prismatic foil covers. Each cover was black with bold shiny enhanced lettering selling the centennial story while a small silhouette of the hero ran ahead of the copy. Frankly, it was a pretty lame execution of a so-so idea, especially when Guy Gardner: Warrior joined in on Justice League America #100, but it's noteworthy for a validation the New 52 will never see. Does anyone believe a renumbering scheme won't screw up any possibility before reaching the monumental 8 year & change (?) publication point, assuming there's still a print industry by that point. Let's just say DC didn't have themed #200 issues, either...


4 comments:

karl said...

I bought both versions of this issue - the holofoil and the drawn one where a battered Diana reaches for her tiara. I dont really approve of gimmicky covers, of which we had far too much in the 90s.
On a sadder note, my father passed away the same month this issue came out, which has always resonated with me...

Diabolu Frank said...

Yeah, I'll confess that Wonder Woman was the only series that I bought two monthly copies of for a few years there, one for me and one for the baggie. I stopped that by #100, but I have at least one copy of both covers. In my defense, comic shops kept closing down on me in the '90s, and nobody stocked the book for the shelf. I figured I'd subscribe at two shops, so that I'd get at least one copy a month, which actually worked.

After hearing you've been buying the book since the '70s, I figure you can tie the monthly publication with lots of life events. I'm sorry this particular issue was associated with such a sad one.

Luke said...

As someone who started reading comics in earnest in the 90s, I still like the occasional gimmicky cover like this one. Although part of me thinks it would look better with stark white letters on the black background with the silhouette rather than the foil.

Diabolu Frank said...

Eh. It's problematic either way. At least the foil adds a bit of pizzazz, but embossing would have been better.